Police officer shoots himself following high-speed chase

daily lash, police officer raped girl,

A Washington state police officer who was on the run after killing his ex-wife and his underage girlfriend shot himself in the head Tuesday following a high-speed chase.

Elias Huizar, 39, was under investigation after he was accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl who was unconscious following a night of drinking. Additionally, Huizar was under investigation for having a relationship with a 17-year-old girl with whom he had gotten pregnant.

Huizar was on the run after kidnapping his 1-year-old son. Authorities said he was headed to Mexico.

Huizar was spotted driving southbound on Interstate 5 in Oregon Tuesday and fled after a trooper tried to pull him over.

According to reports, troopers chased Huizar’s vehicle at high speeds and exchanged gunfire with him during the pursuit. The chase came to an end when Huizar slammed into a truck that had been involved in another accident.

When troopers attempted to make contact with Huizar, he shot himself in the head while his 1-year-old son watched.

On Monday, Huizar shot his ex-wife, Amber Marie Rodriguez, outside William Wiley Elementary School in front of their 9-year-old son. Rodriguez was shot eight times. Rodriguez had a restraining order against Huizar.

Huizar’s 17-year-old girlfriend was found dead inside his South Highlands Boulevard home Monday evening. Authorities believe Huizar had been having sex with the 17-year-old since she was 11.

People who know Huizar said they could never understand how he became a cop because he always had a temper and was known for liking young girls. Huizar also used to work for the Richland School District. The school district had recommended Huizar to the Yakima Police Department.

Huizar was accused of raping another teen while he was married. His wife divorced him in 2020 and immediately filed a restraining order against him.

Huizar was arrested but posted a $200,000 bond after his arrest. Another rape case was pending at the time of his wife’s and girlfriend’s murders on Monday.

Yakima Police Department, said, “We are extremely disheartened that information about Mr. Huizar’s past was not disclosed to us through the various processes we have in place.”

Huizar’s son was taken into state custody and is safe.